We would like to inform you that on May 18th, 2020, the Library resumed lending and free scanning services as well as individual, pre-arranged appointments with readers.
These services are carried out according to the rules given below. The rules are effective from May 18th, 2020 until further notice.
At the same time, we would like to inform you that all reading rooms and Open Stacks still remain closed to users.
- is temporarily located in the restoration room on the ground floor of the building (room 085);
- open to readers from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 6 pm (except public holidays).
No more than two readers can stay in room 085 at the same time. Please observe the directions of the queue (to and from the Circulation Desk stations).
- Users with valid University of Warsaw Library (BUW) account and with borrowing rights may use the Circulation Desk.
- Until further notice, it is not possible to register to the University of Warsaw Library for persons from outside of the University of Warsaw (UW).
- Increased loan limits apply:
- up to 20 vol. for 90 days – employees and doctoral students of the University of Warsaw;
- up to 15 vol. for 60 days – independent researchers from outside UW who are holders of an ID card issued in Poland;
- up to 10 vol. for 30 days – UW students of all undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate;
- up to 3 vol. for 30 days – other individual readers with borrowing rights.
- Orders can be placed by readers logged into the UW libraries online catalogue:
- to log in the library card number, number of electronic ID (ELS – Electronic Student ID; ELP – Electronic Employee ID) placed below the barcode of the ID and a password are necessary,
- employees, doctoral students and students of the University of Warsaw who are not registered can activate library account remotely (remote registration),
- if any problems with online registration occur, please contact: email@example.com.
- Increased order limits apply:
- up to 20 vol. – employees and doctoral students of the University of Warsaw;
- up to 15 vol. – independent researchers from outside UW who are holders of an ID card issued in Poland;
- up to 10 vol. – UW students of all undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate;
- up to 3 vol. – other individual readers with borrowing rights.
Attention! Place orders carefully. You are allowed to borrow only as many books as your borrowing limit (including previously borrowed items).
- Orders placed by readers can be picked up from the day following the day of placing the order, no longer than for five days. The option to place orders for books to be borrowed will be active since May 16th, 2020 (Saturday) from 12 noon. Books ordered on May 16th-18th, 2020, will be available to pick up from May 19th, 2020. Orders made on May 19th, 2020 – only from May 20th, 2020, etc.
Attention! From Monday, May 18th, you will be able to pick up books you have ordered and reserved that have not been picked up after March 10th, 2020 at the temporary Circulation Desk.
- Books from the Open Stacks (Wolny Dostęp) and from the Textbooks Collection, as well as Kindle e-book readers can be ordered in the same way as books from the closed stacks (Magazyn) (via Request option in the UW libraries online catalogue).
- Books with red stickers with the status “Non-circulating” in the online catalogue will not be made available for borrowing. However, you can order scans of fragments of these books.
- Books returned to the University of Warsaw Library will be quarantined for five days:
- they cannot be loaned to another readers, however it is possible that the same reader borrows them again,
- receive the status of “Quarantine” in the catalogue.
- Reservations for books being on loan are suspended until further notice.
Attention! All previous reservations have been removed from the system.
Returns can be made:
- in person when borrowing subsequent books at the temporal Circulation Desk;
- by returning them into the return box located in front of the main entrance of BUW (in the passageway).
- books from the return box will be taken out every hour from Monday to Friday;
- by sending books by post at the expense of the reader to the University of Warsaw Library address with the note “Circulation Desk” (Wypożyczalnia Miejscowa). When returning, the date of delivery of the parcel to the Library is taken into account, and not the date of dispatch. Books returned by post are also quarantined.
Books which due date has been automatically moved to May 30th, can be renewed for another 30 days, but only if:
– there are no overdue books on your account, i.e. books that had gone due before March 11th, 2020,
– there are no outstanding fees for overdue books on your library account ,
– you have not exhausted the limit of a three-time renewal .
The return date can be extended by logging in to the library account yourself. This must be done on May 30th at the latest.
Individual appointments with readers – room 097, ground floor
- It is obligatory for the users to agree with the BUW employee the purpose, date and time of the appointment. Making an appointment in advance is mandatory.
- Appointments with the employee of the Requests and Complaints Office should be made by e-mail sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- During appointments, the reader must observe the principles of security listed in the last point.
- From May 18th, 2020, until cancellation, orders for free scanning will be carried out only for the University of Warsaw students, doctoral students and employees who have an active library account at the University of Warsaw Library, with no overdue library (BUW) materials and with no fees charged by the University of Warsaw Library. Readers with accrued fees in faculty libraries can order scans in BUW.
- Employees, doctor al students and students of the University of Warsaw who are not register can activate the library account remotely (remote registration). If any problems with online registration occur, please contact: email@example.com.
- Only completed order form should be sent from the e-mail address existing in the domain uw.edu.pl to the address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- One person may place maximum one order per week.
- All library materials, with the exception of non-scientific current magazines can be scanned.
- Up to 50 pages of original text (not scans) can be ordered. The scans will be saved to black and white TIFF files or PDF (no OCR).
- Orders will be processed in order of application.
Self-service lockers and individual work booths
Please empty the self-service lockers located in the cloakrooms. The keys to the lockers should be returned immediately to the temporary Circulation Desk in room 0.85 (ground floor).
Information on the dates and ways of picking up items and returning the key to individual work booths will be sent to the readers who used them before closing the Library. If you have any questions regarding this matter, email us: email@example.com.
Users who left their belongings in the self-service lockers located in the Library are asked to contact BUW Administration: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rules applicable to users during their stay at the University of Warsaw Library
- Readers are obliged to apply the Chief Sanitary Inspectorate (Główny Inspektorat Sanitarny) recommendations and comply with the following principles during their stay at the University of Warsaw Library:
- wear protective masks,
- keep a distance of at least 2 m between each other and in designated areas compliance with signs informing about maintaining the necessary distance,
- comply with the recommendations for the permissible number of people on the University of Warsaw Library premises,
- use disinfectants at the entrance to the building and at the reader service station.
- It is recommended to wear disposable gloves.
- Each person entering the building is measured body temperature using a non-contact thermometer. People with an elevated body temperature (above 37 °) and people who do not consent to measurement will not be allowed to use the Circulation Desk.
- Readers limit the number of their visits to the University of Warsaw Library by submitting online complete orders for the books needed and processing returns and loans once.
- Visits other than at the Circulation Desk should be pre-arranged by e-mail, readers follow the specific recommendations of the University of Warsaw Library employee (organisational structure).
- Readers at particular risk of infection may contact the University of Warsaw Library by e-mail to arrange the return of books and delivery of ordered books – e-mail address: email@example.com.
UW faculty libraries
Please be advised that about opening of faculty libraries decide the authorities of a given unit of the University of Warsaw.
Information on the working mode of faculty libraries should be checked on their websites.
We also inform that there is no possibility to order or return books from faculty libraries to the University of Warsaw Library (BUW).
Published: 15 May 2020