University of Warsaw Library operates to a limited extent. Available services: on-site borrowing/ returning books; online scan requests
According to the Ordinance No. 105 of the Rector of the University of Warsaw of May 21, 2020 on the risk of SARS-CoV-2 virus infections, the activity of the University Library in Warsaw is subject to the following restrictions:
- until 14 October, 2020 all reading rooms and Open Stacks remain closed to users,
- there is no registration of non-UW users,
- trainings, library tours, meetings are cancelled .
Until 11 October, 2020 the UW students, doctoral students and staff may use the following services :
- borrowing and returning of books in the temporal Circulation Desk (Monday, Tuesday 1 p.m. – 8 p.m.,
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.),
- returns of books to the return box ( Monday – Sunday 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.),
- free scanning,
- settlements with BUW,
- individual, pre-arranged appointments with readers.
From 12 to 14 October, 2020 the Library will be closed.
The following services will not be available:
- borrowing and returning books in the temporal Circulation Desk,
- interlibrary loan,
- requesting scans,
- phone and e-mail information,
- Ask a librarian virtual reference service,
- settlements with BUW.
For this period there will be no charges for overdue books.
Do you need assistance?
If you are looking for literature or need any other information on the library resources, you may contact us:
- by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org,
- using Ask a Librarian chat (Monday – Friday from 8 am to 6 pm),
- on our Facebook profile.
- the expiry date of the library accounts of students, doctoral students and employees of the University of Warsaw has been automatically extended to October 31st, 2020;
- the University of Warsaw Students and Employees who have got their ELS/ELD/ELP (Electronic Student/Employee ID) and have not registered yet, can register online. Please check out the Registration section;
- new password can be set using the ‘Forgot your password?’ functionality, on the Login page. Instruction
See the instructional video
- is temporarily located on the ground floor of the building (room 085);
- is open: Monday, Tuesday from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m., Wednesday, Thursday, Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (except public holidays).
From 12th to 14th October the Circulation Desk from the temporal place on the ground floor will be transferred to its permanent location on level 1. For this period there will be no charges for overdue books.
No more than two persons can stay in room 085 at the same time. Please observe the directions of the queue (to and from the Circulation Desk stations).
- Users with valid University of Warsaw Library (BUW) account and with borrowing rights may use the Circulation Desk.
- Until further notice, it is not possible to register to the University of Warsaw Library for persons from outside of the University of Warsaw (UW).
- Increased loan limits apply:
- up to 20 vol. for 90 days – employees and doctoral students of the University of Warsaw;
- up to 15 vol. for 60 days – independent researchers from outside UW who are holders of an ID card issued in Poland;
- up to 10 vol. for 30 days – UW students of all undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate;
- up to 3 vol. for 30 days – other individual readers with borrowing rights.
- Orders can be placed by readers logged into the UW libraries online catalogue:
- to log in the library card number, number of electronic ID (ELS – Electronic Student ID; ELP – Electronic Employee ID) placed below the barcode of the ID and a password are necessary,
- employees, doctoral students and students of the University of Warsaw who are not registered can activate library account remotely (remote registration),
- if any problems with online registration occur, please contact: email@example.com.
- Increased order limits apply:
- up to 20 vol. – employees and doctoral students of the University of Warsaw;
- up to 15 vol. – independent researchers from outside UW who are holders of an ID card issued in Poland;
- up to 10 vol. – UW students of all undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate;
- up to 3 vol. – other individual readers with borrowing rights.
Attention! Place orders carefully. You are allowed to borrow only as many books as your borrowing limit (including previously borrowed items).
- Ordered items can be picked up from the day following the day of placing the order, and no longer than for five days.
- Books from the Open Stacks (Wolny Dostęp) and from the Textbooks Collection, as well as Kindle e-book readers can be ordered in the same way as books from the closed stacks (Magazyn) (via Request option in the UW libraries online catalogue).
- Books with red stickers with the status “Non-circulating” in the online catalogue are not available for borrowing. However, you can order scans of fragments of these books.
- Books returned to the University of Warsaw Library are quarantined for five days:
- they cannot be loaned to another readers, however it is possible that the same reader borrows them again,
- are marked with the “Quarantine” status in the catalogue.
- Possibility to make reservation for a book being on loan is suspended until further notice.
Attention! All previous reservations have been removed from the system.
Returns can be made:
- in person when borrowing subsequent books at the temporal Circulation Desk;
- by returning them into the return box located in front of the main entrance of BUW (in the passageway).
- books from the return box are taken out every hour from Monday to Friday;
- by sending books by post at the expense of the reader to the University of Warsaw Library address with the note “Circulation Desk” (Wypożyczalnia Miejscowa). The date of delivery of the parcel to the Library is taken into account, and not the date of dispatch. Books returned by post are also quarantined.
Books which due date has been automatically moved to May 30th, can be renewed for another 30 days, but only if:
The return date can be extended remotely – log in to the library account and renew a book on your own. The renewal is possible five times, but only if:
– there are no overdue books on your library account,
– there are no outstanding fees for overdue books on your account ,
– you have not exhausted the limit of a five-time renewal .
Any borrower who fails to return an item or a Kindle reader on time will have their library account blocked.
Until you settle your obligations with the library, you won’t be able to borrow any more items, renew or reserve any other items.
PLN 0.40 for each day of failing to return an item in time since 1.02.2015,
PLN 1.00 for each day of failing to return a Kindle reader in time
Please note! A fine is automatically charged for each day that elapses before the item is returned.
A fine for an overdue item, after returning the item, may be paid:
- at the Circulation Desk (only by card) or
- by a money transfer to a bank account (only in case of books borrowed from BUW):
Uniwersytet Warszawski Bank Millennium S. A. – 69 11602202 0000 0000 6085 0087 (and in case of transfers from abroad: BIC/S.W.I.F.T.: BIGBPLPWXXX
IBAN: P L 6 9 1 1 6 0 2 2 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 00 6 0 8 5 0 08 7) with a title „Opłata za przetrzymanie książek z BUW” (“Fine for overdue BUW items”).
Please note! The information about your outstanding payments shall be removed from your library account after receiving the information about the payment (money transfer) made from the UW Bursar’s Office, which takes a few days.
Please note! Fines for overdue items borrowed from other UW faculty libraries are paid solely to the bank accounts given on the faculty websites!
Individual appointments with readers – room 097, ground floor
- It is obligatory for the users to agree with the BUW employee the purpose, date and time of the appointment. Making an appointment in advance is mandatory.
- Appointments with the employee of the Requests and Complaints Office should be made by e-mail sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- During appointments, the reader must observe the principles of security listed in the last point.
- From May 18th, 2020, until cancellation, orders for free scanning will be carried out only for the University of Warsaw students, doctoral students and employees who have an active library account at the University of Warsaw Library, with no overdue library (BUW) materials and with no fees charged by the University of Warsaw Library. Readers with accrued fees in faculty libraries can order scans in BUW.
- Employees, doctoral students and students of the University of Warsaw who are not registered can activate the library account remotely (remote registration). If any problems with online registration occur, please contact: email@example.com.
- Only completed order form should be sent from an e-mail address existing in the domain uw.edu.pl to the address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- One person may place maximum one order per week.
- All library materials, with the exception of non-scientific current magazines can be scanned.
- Up to 50 pages of original text (not scans) can be ordered. The scans will be saved to black and white TIFF files or PDF (no OCR).
- Orders will be processed in order of application.
Self-service lockers and individual work booths
- It is recommended to use the self-service lockers.
- Keys to lockers can be borrowed at the entrance security stand during the library opening times.
- Keys to lockers can be borrowed for one day and returned to the security staff without the possibility of prolonging their return date or reserving them.
- The cloakroom is self-service. The Library takes no responsibility for items left in the cloakroom.
Rules applicable to users during their stay at the University of Warsaw Library
- Readers are obliged to apply the Chief Sanitary Inspectorate (Główny Inspektorat Sanitarny) recommendations and comply with the following principles during their stay at the University of Warsaw Library:
- wear protective masks,
- keep a distance of at least 2 m between each other and in designated areas compliance with signs informing about maintaining the necessary distance,
- comply with the recommendations for the permissible number of people on the University of Warsaw Library premises,
- use disinfectants at the entrance to the building and at the reader service station.
- It is recommended to wear disposable gloves.
- Each person entering the building is measured body temperature using a non-contact thermometer. People with an elevated body temperature (above 37 °) and people who do not consent to measurement will not be allowed to use the Circulation Desk.
- Readers limit the number of their visits to the University of Warsaw Library by submitting online complete orders for the books needed and processing returns and loans once.
- Visits other than at the Circulation Desk should be pre-arranged by e-mail, readers follow the specific recommendations of the University of Warsaw Library employee (organisational structure).
- Readers at particular risk of infection may contact the University of Warsaw Library by e-mail to arrange the return of books and delivery of ordered books – e-mail address: email@example.com.
- the University of Warsaw Students and Employees have remote access to the collection of books and electronic journals subscribed by UW, available from the University of Warsaw Library (BUW) in the ‘Online resources’ tab (https://www.buw.uw.edu.pl/zasoby-online /), after logging in with the library card number and password.
UW faculty libraries
Please be advised that about opening of faculty libraries decide the authorities of a given unit of the University of Warsaw.
Information on the working mode of faculty libraries should be checked on their websites and on UW Faculty libraries page.
We also inform that there is no possibility to order or return books from faculty libraries to the University of Warsaw Library (BUW).
Published: 15 May 2020